Sunday, January 3, 2010

Adding Value, Not Just Noise











Morning!

Happy New Year, it's 2010—that’s pronounced Twenty-Ten. Not sure who is making these rules but this is what I’ve heard. Another thing I’ve heard all my life is, “If you don’t have something nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” When I read some of the comments on line, I would have to conclude that most people have either not heard this bit of wisdom or have chosen not to subscribe to this thought. The raw meanness of some people just continues to surprise me.

After a story about the accidental death of a child, I found comments blaming the parents, others saying the child deserved it, somehow linking the death to the Obama administration or being the fault of the Republican Party, and let’s not forget the obligatory links to the alleged Angelina Jolie sex tape or some dating or magic weight-loss solution site.

What, may I ask, is wrong with people? Could it be the anonymity that encourages people to spew whatever small thought is residing in the depths of their little minds or see it as an opportunity to give their totally unrelated business venture a plug? Frankly I don’t know, and really I don’t care. What I do care about is that the new year is already in full swing and if there is any truth to the rumor that the world is going to end in 2012, then we’ve got a lot of work to do before meeting our maker.

Let’s start by altering that time-worn saying I mentioned to “If you don’t have something of value to say, then don’t say anything at all," because 'nice' suggests giving feedback that is less than useful. It's okay to disagree, but spend time on your post supporting your position and ideas instead of bashing. Even if you agree, say why and support your position.

Let’s all be mindful and ask ourselves before we post, “Am I adding something of value to this conversation or am I just making noise?

Comments of value are welcome here.

No comments:

Post a Comment